Punjab Nursing Council published circular regarding Policy on Continuing Nursing Education (CNE)
This policy applies to all Continuing Nursing Education (CNE) providers approaching PNRC for
the accreditation of their educational programs. Continuing Nursing Education (is the systematic
maintenance improvement and broadening of knowledge, experience and skills, and the
development of personal qualities helpful in the execution of professional duties throughout a
career. Accreditation is a type of quality assurance process, under which the educational services
and operations of an educational programs are evaluated by an established body to determine if
applicable standards are met. An organizer which is able to provide professionals with highquality scientific educational programs for Continuing Nursing Education that has been evaluated
by PNRC is called CNE provider.
Purpose & Scope
Encourage the provision of high quality training programs.
Assure participants of program compliance with standards.
Aid in the utilization of Continuing Nursing Education for Registration/Renewal of
Ensure the transparency and standardization of the Continuing Nursing Education
It is felt that the time has come when the interests of the increasing number of trained nurses, health visitors, midwives, nurse, dais and trained dais and of their clientele should be protected and this can be best achieved by the registration and proper control of such nurses, health visitors, midwives, nurse, dais and trained dais. Moreover, registration in itself supplied an incentive to take training and thereby improves professional standards. It is accordingly proposed to enact measures on the lines of the law in force in Great Britain where there is a Council which deals with various questions relating to nurses, such as the training examination, registration, etc. of nurses and their removal from the register maintained under the authority of the Council. Provision also exists in the English Act forbidding any unregistered person from practicing nurse and also penalizing the use by an unregistered nurse of any title of name suggesting that such nurse is registered nurse.
The Madras Nurse and Midwives Act 1926, which is based on English Act, has already been passed into law, and a Bill for the Punjab has been made on the provisions of the English and Madras Acts”.
As a regulatory body for Nursing and Midwifery, the Nursing Council is the vanguard for quality Nursing Education by ensuring that Nursing and Midwifery personnel are competently educated and trained to deliver Professional Health Care.
Details of the Policy on Continuing Nursing Education (CNE)
Latest Notification/Circular of Punjab Nursing Council as below:-
– Maintain uniform standard of Nursing Education.
– Provide the registration for entry in to the practice.
– Be an open, transparent, responsible and accountable organization.
Function of the Punjab Nursing Council:-
1. Registration :
- Registration of qualified candidates to practice.
- Verification of Registration Certificates issued from the council whenever there is a request from any employer across the world. The documents communicated is cross checked with the existing records for authenticity.
- Renewal of previously registered candidates with the council.
2. Examinations and award Diploma :
- The Council is an approved Examination body for the Examinations for Diploma ANM, Diploma GNM and Post Basic Diploma Nursing Courses.
- The Council conducts the examinations.
3. Approval and Supervision of Institutions :
- The Council conducts inspections to verify the teaching, learning facilities as well as programme conduction at Nursing Educational institutions.
4. Look into the complaint against nurses :
- The Council takes disciplinary actions against the nurses found to be observing unethical behavioral or mal practice.
5. CNE :
- Organization of continuing Education Programme for nursing professionals.
- Award credit hours for CNE Programmes organized by Education institution and hospitals for the purpose of renewal of Registration.
Act/Rules of Nursing Council:-
PNRC ACT 1932
Contact :-Address of the Nursing Council:-
- Medical Sikhya Bhawan, 3rd floor, Sector 69 SAS Nagar, Mohali.
Email: [email protected]
Nursing Councils of India:-