The Tamil Nadu Nurses and Midwives Council is an Autonomous Statutory Registration Body for registering qualified Nurses, Midwives, Auxiliary Nurse Midwives/ Multipurpose Health Workers/ Health Visitors as per the provision in the Act.
The Madras Nurses and Midwives Act No.III of 1926 was passed in the Madras Legislative Council of Madras in 1926 followed by Notification in the Fort St. George Gazette on 29th June 1926 and came into force on 14th February 1928.
The Madras Nurses and Midwives Council was constituted under the authority of the above Act by a notification by the Governor on 14th December 1928. This Council is the earliest piece of Legislation on Nursing in the whole of South-East Asia aiming at the advancement of Nursing Education and champion the cause of the nursing profession.
“The Madras Nurses and Midwives Act No.III of 1926” was renamed as the “Tamilnadu Nurses and Midwives (Amendment) Act No.XXVI” of 1960 on 14th December 1960.
As a regulatory body for Nursing and Midwifery, the Tamilnadu Nursing Council is the vanguard for quality Nursing Education by ensuring that Nursing and Midwifery personnel are competently educated and trained to deliver Professional Health Care.
Recently Tamilnadu Nursing Council published latest Circular/Notification.
Details of the Tamilnadu Nurses and Midwives Council, Santhome, Chennai-4, invites Nomination/Application for “Best Nurse Award/Life Time Achievement Award for the year 2023” from Registered Nurses & Midwives/ANM’s/LHV’s on or before 25th April 2023 at 5.45 pm through postal.
Latest Notification/Circular of Tamilnadu Nursing Council as below:-
Guidlines and application
Mission of the Tamilnadu Nursing Council:-
– Maintain uniform standard of Nursing Education.
– Provide the registration for entry in to the practice.
– Be an open, transparent, responsible and accountable organization.
Function of the Tamilnadu Nursing Council:-
1. Registration :
- Registration of qualified candidates to practice.
- Verification of Registration Certificates issued from the council whenever there is a request from any employer across the world. The documents communicated is cross checked with the existing records for authenticity.
- Renewal of previously registered candidates with the council.
2. Examinations and award Diploma :
- The Council is an approved Examination body for the Examinations for Diploma ANM, Diploma GNM and Post Basic Diploma Nursing Courses.
- The Council conducts the examinations.
3. Approval and Supervision of Institutions :
- The Council conducts inspections to verify the teaching, learning facilities as well as programme conduction at Nursing Educational institutions.
4. Look into the complaint against nurses :
- The Council takes disciplinary actions against the nurses found to be observing unethical behavioral or mal practice.
5. CNE :
- Organization of continuing Education Programme for nursing professionals.
- Award credit hours for CNE Programmes organized by Education institution and hospitals for the purpose of renewal of Registration.
Act/Rules of Tamilnadu Nursing Council:-
Contact :-Address of the Tamilnadu Nursing Council:-
- Jayaprakash Narayanan Maligai,
Old No.140, New No.56,
Santhome High Road (Near Santhome Church),
Mylapore, Chennai – 600 004. Tamil Nadu,
Nursing Councils of India:-